Breaking Bad Thread

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Breaking Bad Thread

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Just heard that Cranston and Paul both are signing on to Better Call Saul.

:thumbup:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:53 am

^Cool, but I heard that was supposed to be a prequel to Breaking Bad...and I'm not sure they met before then...would be interesting to see how they fit them in.

That's nothing. Keep going.

Good Lord, yes. Just finished the show which ended in the desert after Walt's arrested (I kinda saw the Nazi dudes coming) and the shootout cliffhanger. There's no fucking way I'm not immediately firing up the next episode...one of the perks of watching it after the fact, I guess.

SUPER chill moment of Walt deciding not to call his Nazi guys to kill Jesse (and obviously Hank too).
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:52 am

And now I watched the next...hard to believe that was one 48-minute episode. The scene in the house with the knife was intense and him grabbing the baby was insane. Wow. I can't believe there's two episodes left.

I'm still debating whether him taking the baby was a calculated moment from the beginning or if he grabbed her in the heat of the moment and then came up with the plan after the fact when he knew he couldn't keep the kid. From the scene in the bathroom, I'm leaning to the latter.

LOVE going back in thsi thread and reading the reactions...there was a lot of chatter after this episode...also was strangely when I started watching the series. Yikes, if only I knew at the time.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:55 am

Just watched through the last two episodes. Wow. Beautiful way to finish things. It's funny how I did hear inklings that Walt dies in the end of the show and as it turns out that was clearly the most inevitable thing of this last season.

The last Walt/Skylar scene was really important and I thought they nailed it. It was also maybe the first time in the show that Walt DIDN'T say the wrong thing in these conversations. One of my favorite dynamics with him was how he's SO smart in other parts of the show yet so DUMB in simple conversations...I spent the whole show watching these scenes and saying "Don't say it, Walt...don't say it." only to see him say it. Walt finally said the right thing. Amazing.

And I loved Todd only getting out one last "Mr. White..." before Jesse takes him out. Todd was only around a short while but he was great in how he has this Leave it to Beaver thing going and even the silly crush on Lydia that was never going to happen...you never see any other side of him. Nicely done.

And pride was always the downfall of Walt this entire series...and then when Jack has Walt's plan screwed, it was Jack's pride and walt implying Jesse is a "partner" that doomed him.

Absolutely loved Walt walking through the meth lab at the end and they even cued up some "cooking music" as they kinda teased one last cook montage scene before Walt collapsed. This show did what they've done all series...had a guy who was horrible, arrogant, selfish and who used and corrupted everyone in his life and they always found ways to make you feel or even pull for him. They did it one last time right there...I couldn't help but smile.

Brilliant stuff. Glad I jumped on, albeit late.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:17 pm

El Bastarde wrote:^Cool, but I heard that was supposed to be a prequel to Breaking Bad...and I'm not sure they met before then...would be interesting to see how they fit them in.

Man I hadn't really thought about that, I saw where Paul said he was in if Gilligan wanted him, but haven't seen much about Cranston on that front...but yeah, I wonder how far back they're gonna take it- how young can they make Aaron Paul look?
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 pm

how young can they make Aaron Paul look?

Ya, they were already kinda pushing it when they had those scenes of Jesse and Walt from the more innocent days from Season 1 in Season 5 and you could see that both aged a little bit for those scenes.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Actually, Bryan Cranston looks the same now as he did when starting the series. He lost some weight to play the older Walt.

After all, Walt *was* dying of cancer.
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Yeah I don't think it'll be that hard to make Walt look like a middle-aged teacher, just grow his hair back out...and I guess Jesse would just be playing a methhead again (although I considered that they might go back to him being in Walt's class or something), so it's probably not as hard to pull off, same for him, growing his hair back out will probably do the trick- but I don't know how their lives would be intertwined in any way at that point

those are the appearances we relate to them being younger so that's all they gotta do I guess
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:18 pm

well ... remember Walt was Jesse's Chem teacher, way back when. If Cranston agrees to take part in Better Call Saul, it's likely his role would be the Chem teacher to Jesse, and Jesse getting into all sorts of trouble and needing Saul.

Jesse just needs to lose a few pounds. If McConaughey and Jared Leto can lost 40+ lbs, Aaron Paul can definitely do like 10-20lbs.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:56 pm

Actually, Bryan Cranston looks the same now as he did when starting the series. He lost some weight to play the older Walt.

Ya, he just looks like he has more wrinkles later in the show but that may have been the makeup guys adding them on to create the “weathered” look to indicate that he’s been through a lot. Jesse for certain looked a bit older.

growing his hair back out will probably do the trick

Ya, good point there...for both characters, their “younger selves” are easily identified with having hair.

If Cranston agrees to take part in Better Call Saul, it's likely his role would be the Chem teacher to Jesse, and Jesse getting into all sorts of trouble and needing Saul.

I always kind of assumed that Jesse/Walt had not met Saul before Breaking Bad. It is possibly to have them involved with other characters or something. Walt would probably just be in as a cameo since he’s fairly boring prior to his cancer diagnosis.

I would like to see Kuby a bit more…he really shined in the few scenes he got to stretch his legs like when he played the inspector talking to the car wash owner or when he was there to get Ted to pay his taxes.
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:10 pm

What if Cranston and Paul played completely different characters in Better Call Saul? Like they're both cops in the new series. Yeah...I like the way my brain works in the morning before I've had my coffee.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:20 pm

^A clever idea. I likes it. Even funnier having Cranston as a drug dealer who is actually an undercover DEA agent.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Anyone here check out Better Call Saul? I missed it, but I'll likely catch both new episodes tonight...
El Bastarde

Postby piper » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:53 pm

Tuco!!!!!!!
piper

Postby AsianGirl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:46 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Anyone here check out Better Call Saul? I missed it, but I'll likely catch both new episodes tonight...

Watched S01E01 and I like how they brought some continuity in the first scenes from a statement Saul said in one of the last eps of Breaking Bad. Something alongst the lines of "Best case scenario I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha."

Also interesting to see that he saved a little somethin' somethin' to take him back to the glory days. I like how the show used that to bring us into the story / flashback of Better Call Saul (BCS).

Also interesting to see the characters we have seen before from Breaking Bad appear in this show, which ofc was expected.

I'm looking forward to the journey in BCS, and part of me thinks I should re-watch Breaking Bad once again, so I don't miss a lot of the allusions and cross-references (e.g. like that Cinnabon quote).

James McGill? WTF? Can't wait to find out more.
AsianGirl

Postby piper » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:49 pm

^I noticed the nail salon he walked into was the same one he brought Jesse into when he was showing him places to buy so he could launder his money......
piper

Postby AsianGirl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:58 pm

^ Ahhh I missed that! See, I need to re-watch Breaking Bad, ASAP!
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:37 pm

Tuco!!!!!!!

I got jacked for that too. Nice to see the crazy bastard. The scene where Saul "negotiates" it down to two broken legs was absolutely surreal even as I watched it. And it seems like that moment was supposed to be what gave Saul more confidence in his later public cases.

I like how they brought some continuity in the first scenes from a statement Saul said in one of the last eps of Breaking Bad. Something alongst the lines of "Best case scenario I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha."

I'd completely forgotten about that. Nicely done. And I wonder if we'll see a few "modern times" scenes trickled in with the flashback show.

James McGill? WTF?

Well, I remember Saul telling Walt he changed it to Saul to "attract the Jewish crowd" or something so I knew the Saul one was a fake name. Was still weird seeing him go about as the new name. I still call him "Saul," either way.

^I noticed the nail salon he walked into was the same one he brought Jesse into when he was showing him places to buy so he could launder his money......

Yeah, the fact that I'd just watched all the seasons sometime last year means I was still pretty fresh on most of the stuff...I guess that helped me recall this stuff...I totally remembered the salon from before. I can't wait to get more Mike content too...he's the best.

Overall, it felt like more Breaking Bad but a bit "lighter" than that show...especially since we know Saul doesn't die...it's crazy schemes, wild scenes in the desert, folks having guns shoved in their faces...it's all there. I felt it even followed the formula of the first show. Walt falls into making meth in the first episode, it goes horribly wrong, and then he swears off the illegal stuff...and then is slowly dragged back into it. Saul's antics with the skateboarders, followed by Tuco going nuts, followed by him going back to do public court cases and then Tuco's gang-mate trying to entice Saul back into it. While it appears that Saul was always a little shady, this is probably the story of how Saul ended up "Breaking Bad."
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:55 pm

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the conflict btwn Mike-the-Parking-Lot-attendant and Jimmy-soon-to-be-Saul escalates at some point this season and leads to Saul breaking down and some how get into a physical fight with Mike. Then Saul realizes Mike can be valuable asset.

In Breaking Bad, Mike is introduced as Gustavo Fring's security dude. I can't wait to see Gudstavo appear in the show; he was one of my favorite characters on BB.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:20 pm

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the conflict btwn Mike-the-Parking-Lot-attendant and Jimmy-soon-to-be-Saul escalates at some point this season and leads to Saul breaking down and some how get into a physical fight with Mike.

You don't have to go on a limb for that. If you watched the preview of next week, this seems to be exactly what happens as they showed what looks like Mike throwing Saul to the ground. Probably from Saul running his mouth too much. So, yeah, good instincts there.

Also, when I first saw the skateboarder who was hit, I thought it was Kubey who was one of my favorite characters. I heard a podcast with the actor and he's a Boston-based comedian who loved the show and kept pushing his agent to get him a role on it until he finally got one. Really cool story and a cool guy too.

In Breaking Bad, Mike is introduced as Gustavo Fring's security dude. I can't wait to see Gudstavo appear in the show;

Yeah, I didn't even think of Gus showing up...that would be really cool. It seemed like Mike worked for Gus before he hooked up with Saul but we'll have to see how that works.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:42 pm

El Bastarde wrote:i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the conflict btwn Mike-the-Parking-Lot-attendant and Jimmy-soon-to-be-Saul escalates at some point this season and leads to Saul breaking down and some how get into a physical fight with Mike.

You don't have to go on a limb for that. If you watched the preview of next week, this seems to be exactly what happens as they showed what looks like Mike throwing Saul to the ground. Probably from Saul running his mouth too much. So, yeah, good instincts there.

LOL I didn't watch the preview scenes from the next eps. Sometimes I watch those but for some reason I skipped them this week. Nonetheless I am waiting in eager anticipation for the Mike-Gustavo connection to come to light and also how Saul gets involved with them all.

And yea, I forgot to mention the negotiation from the 2x Dead -> 4x broken legs -> 2X broken legs. That scene was so well-played, both from an acting stand point and also from a show / character development point of view.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:41 pm

And yea, I forgot to mention the negotiation from the 2x Dead -> 4x broken legs -> 2X broken legs. That scene was so well-played, both from an acting stand point and also from a show / character development point of view.

I remember when I finished watching that scene was it dawned on me that I will never see a scene like that in any other form...only a Breaking Bad-type show could pull that off. Even funnier how Tuco and the gang has so much joy from breaking the guy's legs right afterward. Just ridiculous.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:12 pm

I made a separate thread for Better Call Saul. Figured the quality show deserves one of its own.
AsianGirl

Postby Katiemay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 pm

I finished BB last week and finally got to read/watch things about it to my heart's content, including this thread. Nothing more can be can be said about its perfection as art on film, so I'll just throw another vote on top of that sentiment.

Never having shared the experience of watching the show with others, I was struck by all the hate for Skylar. I will say, I initially started to dislike her in the first season, with the whole naive nagging wife routine, but as the story progresses and after putting myself in her shoes for one second, I came to see she was only acting like a normal person who is being betrayed and continuously lied to by their spouse. Not saying this to incite anything, not that there is anyone here to incite, but all the animosity towards her character smells a bit like misogyny to me. Everyone holds the ruthless, seeming sociopath in such high esteem but not, arguably, his principal victim. What should she have done so differently? Does the fact that her life is in complete ruins at the end satisfy everyone's hate? In contrast, Walt got off easy. He had a happy ending. Not so much for those left in his wake.

I should have taken notes while reading through this thread because there were so many other things I wanted to comment on. All in all, cinematic perfection. This show is the best argument for why TV has surpassed movies in the art of storytelling.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:24 pm

I finished BB last week and finally got to read/watch things about it to my heart's content, including this thread.

I did the same thing since I also finished BB late...this thread starts a lil before Season 4 (I think) so I enjoyed seeing the reactions.

Never having shared the experience of watching the show with others, I was struck by all the hate for Skylar.

I was too! This was baffling. Yes, her cheating on Walt was a very poor decision but she was quite pissed, he was lying constantly to her and she thought he may be cheating on her since she had no answers. Almost everything else she does is basically her trying to keep her family together and to keep Walt out of jail, despite him lying to her. She really doesn't have a choice in a lot of things she deals with outside of just turning Walt in. I thought she was pretty reasonable given what she was dealt. And the actress playing her is fantastic.

Though I think that many people see the cheating as being somehow more horrible than the things Walt does. Many folks just detest this so that's likely what they hold over her.

This show is the best argument for why TV has surpassed movies in the art of storytelling.

Agreed And, if you like BB, I'd have to recommend Better Call Saul. It's a lil lighter and may feel like more of the same but it's still good writing, interesting characters and still very clever. Only one and half season to get through.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion